Ovesné Kladruby (German: Habakladrau, formerly Kladrau) is situated south of Slavkovsky Les (German Kaiserwald – Emperor's Forest) in the Tepla Highlands, about 5 miles east of Marienbad (Mariánské Lázně).
- As early as 1242 a parish for the surrounding villages was established in the place. The village itself is first mentioned in a charter as Avenatika Claduna (from Latin avena= oats) in 1273. Also the present Czech name is derived from Czech oves = oats and klady robote = felling trees, lumberjacks' village.
- On April 25th , 1611, part of the village including the church was destroyed by a big fire. That very same year 130 inhabitants of the village died of the Plague within 4 months.
- In 1882 the village had 73 houses with 501 inhabitants.
- After World War II most of the German inhabitants were expelled.
- In 1960 the village was incorporated into Mariánské Lázně but since Nov. 24th ,1990, Ovesné Kladruby has been an independent community.
Today Ovesné Kladruby has 120 inhabitants.
To the northwest of Ovesné Kladruby there is the 847 metres high Podhorni Vrch, to the northeast there is the drinking water reservoir of Podhora, which is fed by the river Tepla. The Tepla rises in the moor area on the northern slope of Podhorni Vrch and flows into the river Eger.
Today's parish church St. Laurentius was built between 1746 and 1748 instead of the church destroyed by the fire of 1611.
Ovesné Kladruby is situated 720m above sea level. Its postal code is 35301.
The Mayor of Ovesné Kladruby is Mrs. Aurelie Skřivanová, the town hall is in house Nr. 16.
The village can be reached by train on the route from Mariánské Lázně.to Karlovy Vary (Karlsbad). (more on Infoboard and Getting there)
Further information can be found on the official Ovesné Kladruby webpage: www.ovesnekladruby.cz
Päitara Hof (Peter's Farmstead)
Area: whole area: 1.500 m², buildings 900m², inhabitable cca. 250m².
Päitara Hof (Peter's Farmstead) history:
- In the possession of the Köhler family, who came to Habakladrau from Rojau by a swapping of farms since about 1800.
- The Köhler family is first mentioned in a charter as living in Habakladrau in 1807.
- Last German owners of the Köhler family from 1901 till the expulsion of Germans from Czechoslovakia after World War II: Josef and Marie Köhler.
- The greater part of the farm's roof burnt down completely in a fire that destroyed six farms of the village in 1942.
- Rebuilding of the farm in 1943.
- In the Communist time of Czecho-Slovakia, seat of the cooperative of farmers.
- Purchased by the great-grand daughter of the last German owners in 2005.
- Renovated between 2006 and 2009.
Farmstead after Fire I (1942)
Farmstead after Fire II (1942)
Farmstead after Fire III (1942)
Zimmerer farmstead and annex (Läirech) after the fire (1942)
Timberframe house in the 1950s
Village as seen from Schmalzgasse